Sunday 19 May 2013

Low Sugar Chocolate Mud Icing

Unfortunately my dad has diabetes and is therefore unable to consume my myriad teeth-rottingly sweet baked goods in large quantities. The rest of my family are fairly health-conscious too so I came up with this delicious and simple alternative to sugary buttercream using just cream cheese and dark chocolate with a high cocoa content. I've called it 'mud' because of its colour and thick, chunky consistency! Obviously if you're topping standard vanilla or chocolate sponges with it they can hardly be classified as super healthy, and there's still quite a high fat content, but it does mean a small cupcake can be enjoyed with a bit less guilt if you're watching your sugar intake without going overboard with the artifical sweetener, and the strong flavour means a little goes a long way. Generally I'm not a fan of dark chocolate containing a high percentage of cocoa myself but the slight bitterness of the icing was offset really nicely with the light sponge, and the vanilla cereal stars make very cute decorations!

There are various reduced-sugar cake recipes available online that this could be paired with. Remember: the higher the cocoa content percentage, the less sugary the chocolate but the more bitter the taste.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a health or nutrition expert so try at your own risk!

I ran out of icing when I made the cakes in the photo above so the three on the right have diabetic pineapple jam in instead :)

INGREDIENTS - to ice approx. 12 cupcakes
  • 2 oz high-cocoa chocolate (minimum 60%), roughly chopped
  • 5 oz cream cheese (at room temperature, full-fat works best)
  • Handful of vanilla flavour star-shaped cereal (available in Tesco last time I checked)
METHOD
  1. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of boiling water without letting the bottom of the bowl touch the water and stir occasionally, or place in the microwave and blast on low heat in short bursts until completely melted.
  2. Place the cream cheese in a separate bowl and gradually pour in the melted chocolate while stirring until a smooth, spreadable mixture has formed.
  3. Spread the icing onto each cupcake using a palette knife - make sure you work quickly as it sets very rapidly - then top with a few vanilla cereal stars if desired.
Edit: Here are some I made for my dad for Father's Day, topped with crushed sugar-free Werther's Originals :)


No comments:

Post a Comment